Baptism Quilt

I originally had grand plans of making a christening gown with some fabric I had from my wedding gown, but I realized that I didn’t have enough fabric nor enough talent to take on that kind of project. So, I made up my mind to make a quilt instead.

The fabric was really awkward pieces because 1. some were cut on the bias 2. some were from the dress being shortened 3. it is silk-satin, so difficult to cut & sew. Because of this, I decided to do a simple patchwork top, alternating the two different colors of silk. I made rails using a white-on-white pattern of quilters cotton that I had on hand and back it in Kona white cotton. I was crunched on time, so I decided to go with a no-binding quilt and hand-tie it versus machine quilting. This was my first time doing either, so there was a bit of a learning curve (read much seam ripping) however I am really happy with how it turned out. It’s much fluffier and has a softer look to it than machine quilting.

I also embroidered a patch for the back of the quilt using some of the silk-satin with Joseph’s name and the date of his baptism. The plan is to make additional patches for the back for any future babies. Hopefully, this is something that I can hand down in the family. I imagine someone in the future saying “Your great grandmother made this quilt out of her wedding gown, and now it’s your turn to have your name added on this special day.”

 

 

**Apologies for the wrinkly photos, I didn’t have time to re-press the quilt before I shot these.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s