I started these socks on June 24, 2010. I completed them on June 25, 2017. During that times we’d moved around the Midwest, had a family, celebrated life, mourned losses, and generally had a busy, happy life.
I finished the first sock fairly quickly, but hated the pattern and the yarn I was using. Banished to “second-sock island,” I would occasionally dig this project out and cast on the second sock, only to quickly stuff it away again and cast on something more pleasurable to knit.
There was nothing inherently wrong with the pattern. Hedgerow Socks is not overtly difficult, I think it was more the fact that it was not completely mindless like ribbing/stockinette, but wasn’t challenging enough to hold real interest. Result: annoying. Add that they were on Size 1 needles (think toothpicks) and I was doubly annoyed. (I lost the original set of DPNs I used and knit the second sock on Addi turbos using the magic loop method -slightly less irritating.)
The yarn, Berroco Comfort Sock, was a poor choice. It’s a nylon/acrylic blend that felt dead in my fingers as I knit it. It was a rookie knitter mistake to buy it. It made a beautiful, soft and squishy, durable pair of socks but the process of knitting them was gross.
So, the project languished on as half-finished until this Spring. Determined to clear out my last few forlorn UFOs (unfinished objects), I resigned myself to knitting the equivalent of going to the DMV: not pleasurable, seemingly lasts forever, but a feeling of great satisfaction when completed. These will not count towards #operationsockdrawer, instead I’ll be gifting these to my mom, she’ll love them and I won’t have to look at them again.
More details can be found on Ravelry.
***The above photo reads much darker than in real life. The true color is more of a silvery gray-blue with sparse hints of light gray and muted cornflower. (See below)