Well, the Team Colley Holiday Tour has reached its completion and we are back home and settling into the new year. 2013!
I love the start of a new year. New beginnings, clean slates, a brand new calendar. . . and of course lists! Lists of things I want to do, see, make, cook.
I decided that this year I really need to bring balance into my -and by extension my family’s-life. That means focusing on our family as a whole as well as myself. I found that last year I made several fits and starts at doing this, but I always pushed myself aside to focus on others. This hurt me, both mentally and physically. I need to do better. Here are a few ways to start:
- Shawn and I have talked about this and we are going to make sure to make time for us – date night at least twice a month – so we don’t become “mommy & daddy” and forget ourselves.
- We will also be working harder to work as a team parenting. Before this meant that we often “tagged out” with Joseph. Leading to a lot of frustration on my part. I was not able to “tag out” as much with being home all day while Shawn was working and when he was home, I was often “supervising” his turns. I also felt a lot of guilt when I did step away to take time for myself. I always rushed and didn’t fully enjoy that time because I was fretting about getting back and “relieving” Shawn. Shawn is a capable adult and a wonderful father. I need to let him lead at times.
- I have to make sure Shawn has time for himself outside of work, he needs his down time as well to relax and rejuvenate just as much as I do.
- I need to allow myself to take time for me. This can mean going to get a pedicure, reading or crafting while Joseph naps instead of doing laundry, making it to the gym, or actually taking a nap. These things will all help me in realizing my goals.
- Stop doubting and mentally beating myself up over my mothering skills, or lack there of. I put myself through a TON of mental anguish regarding whether or not I am doing the right thing for my son. I also get really down on myself whenever I get frustrated with him. I am human. I am doing the best I can.
I will pay for his therapy.I have to remember this and focus on how wonderful this tiny wonderful human is and how he has helped me grow.
So those are a few ways I’ll be working on making this year all about Team Colley. I’m sure I’ll have my successes and failures, but I have a beautifully empty calendar in which to log my progress. I’ll be posting about my trials and tribulations under the category Dream Year 2013. Hope you’ll follow along with me.