This super hot, steamy weather is not very conducive to spending a lot of time outside with Joseph, so we’ve been hiding out in the AC lately. Something we like to do ( Joe supervises) is bake. Cookies are always good because they’re easy and fairly quick. These are a go to in our house:
Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 a bag of chocolate chips.
Preheat oven to 375. Combine butter, sugars, and vanilla. Mix in eggs, one at a time. Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix in chocolate chips. Use teaspoon and scoop onto un-greased cookie sheet. Bake for 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet and let cook on baking rack. Enjoy!
TIPS: Here are a few things that I always do that I think make for a superior cookie.
- I always use organic unsalted butter, never margarine. I think that this lends to a more mellow taste and makes for a crisp and chewy, but not greasy, cookie.
- Try to purchase really vanilla extract, not imitation. Amazing difference!
- I use farm fresh eggs (when I can get them) or else I buy organic. They might cost a bit more, but once you try them you will never go back.
- Mix in flour one cup at a time and you’ll be less likely to have lumps.
- Add the baking soda and salt to the last 1/4 cup of flour. It helps to distribute them more evenly.
- Try using butterscotch chips instead of chocolate, yummy!