I started working on this quilt soon after we found out that we were having a boy. I had been saving Shawn’s old shirts to use for a sewing project and I thought that this was the perfect one to use them for. I had eight shirts that I broke down into 6.5” squares of fabric. I then used those along with some white Kona cotton to make half-square triangles (HSTs) There are a lot of good tutorials out there for HSTs, like here and here. They are a great basic block that you can make a ton of different designs from. After making a TON of HSTs, I pieced the quilt top together. I sandwiched the quilt using Warm & Natural batting and some plain white flannel (both from Joann’s) and made the binding with some gray Kona Cotton from my fabric stash. I quilted it by outlining the squares as well as following the diagonals. I also embroidered a tag to go on the back with Joseph’s birth date, height and weight.
I can’t even tell you how happy I am with how this quilt turned out. It was the most labor-intensive quilt I’ve made to this point and I was truly a work of love. I hope that Joseph will enjoy it for years to come.
To see more photos, go to the full post.
2 thoughts on “Joseph’s Quilt”
Pingback: Joe’s Play Quilt |
Pingback: Joseph’s 1st Birthday Quilt |